This is the third of our ten-part Sound Series where I talk to writers and artists about their work in relation to sounds they have chosen.
In this episode I talk to Cooki Aimee M and Eamonn Marra.
Cooki Aimee M chose this recording of water running from a bath which they recorded.
Eamonn chose the song ‘Clean’ by The Jelly Tips which was a solo project of Joseph Harper. Thanks heaps to Joseph Harper for letting us use his amazing song.
We talked a bit in this episode about sound that are ‘difficult’ or ‘uncomfortable’.
So, this exercise is about discomforting sounds and is pretty straight forward.
Find a sound that is hard to listen to.
Play it over headphones while you speak for 45 seconds into a recorder. It might work quite well if you have it loud enough so you can’t hear your voice.
The title of this work is the sound you listened to.
At the end of this series I’m going to make an episode showcasing the responses to these exercises. Maybe you would be willing to share your exercises for this showcase.
You can leave your recordings or links to recordings in the comments below.
You can also email me them to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your sound files are big you can share a Google Drive link or use a service like WeTranfer
Or you can listen to it here:
Ep 112: Beyond a Joke 3 – Jordan Hamel talks to Pip Adam about his poem ’Death Coach’ – Better off Read
- Ep 112: Beyond a Joke 3 – Jordan Hamel talks to Pip Adam about his poem ’Death Coach’
- Ep 111: Beyond a Joke 2 – Jonny Potts talks to Pip Adam about Nikolai Gogol’s story ’The Nose’
- Ep 110: Beyond a Joke 1 – Anna Jackson talks to Pip Adam about Anna’s book ’Actions & Travels: How poetry works’.
- Beyond a Joke! Better of Read’s New Home at Substack.
- Ep 109: Andy Southall : Time, Love, Memory session from Aotearoa New Zealand Festival of the Arts
Made with the support of Creative New Zealand Toi Aotearoa