This is the third of our ten-part Sound Series where I talk to writers and artists about their work in relation to sounds they have chosen.
In this episode I talk to Cooki Aimee M and Eamonn Marra.
Cooki Aimee M chose this recording of water running from a bath which they recorded.
Eamonn chose the song ‘Clean’ by The Jelly Tips which was a solo project of Joseph Harper. Thanks heaps to Joseph Harper for letting us use his amazing song.
We talked a bit in this episode about sound that are ‘difficult’ or ‘uncomfortable’.
So, this exercise is about discomforting sounds and is pretty straight forward.
Find a sound that is hard to listen to.
Play it over headphones while you speak for 45 seconds into a recorder. It might work quite well if you have it loud enough so you can’t hear your voice.
The title of this work is the sound you listened to.
At the end of this series I’m going to make an episode showcasing the responses to these exercises. Maybe you would be willing to share your exercises for this showcase.
You can leave your recordings or links to recordings in the comments below.
You can also email me them to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your sound files are big you can share a Google Drive link or use a service like WeTranfer
Or you can listen to it here:
Ep 90: Elements 4 – Place. Charlie Pearson, Helen Lehndorf and Marolyn Krasner talk to Pip Adam about the postcodes 4410 to 4412. – Better off Read
- Ep 90: Elements 4 – Place. Charlie Pearson, Helen Lehndorf and Marolyn Krasner talk to Pip Adam about the postcodes 4410 to 4412.
- Ep 89: Elements 3 – Place. Rose Lu talks to Pip Adam about a cleaver.
- Ep 88: Elements 2 – Place. Victor Rodger talks to Pip Adam about Club Paradiso.
- Ep 87: Elements 1 – Place. Michaela Keeble talks to Pip Adam about a set of juvenile pāua shell from the beach where she lives.
- Announcing the Elements Series
Made with the support of Creative New Zealand Toi Aotearoa