This is the second of our ten-part Sound Series where I talk to writers and artists about their work in relation to sounds they have chosen.
In this episode I talk to Ruby Solly and Chris Tse.
Ruby chose ‘Koukou’ off her amazing album Pōneke which you can listen to and buy on Bandcamp (I totally reckon you should buy it!)
Chris chose the sound of washing rice, which he recorded and you can listen to below – or on the podcast.
This is an exercise where you compose in situ.
Take your recorder – it can be your phone – to a noisy place.
Turn your recorder on and respond to the sounds around you in spoken words.
It might take the form of a conversation with the noises in the environment you are in. Or the noises may form a backing track to your words.
At the end of this series I’m going to make an episode showcasing the responses to these exercises. Maybe you would be willing to share your exercises for this showcase.
You can leave your recordings or links to recordings in the comments below.
You can also email me them to me at: email@example.com
If your sound files are big you can share a Google Drive link or use a service like WeTranfer
Or you can listen to it here:
Ep 112: Beyond a Joke 3 – Jordan Hamel talks to Pip Adam about his poem ’Death Coach’ – Better off Read
- Ep 112: Beyond a Joke 3 – Jordan Hamel talks to Pip Adam about his poem ’Death Coach’
- Ep 111: Beyond a Joke 2 – Jonny Potts talks to Pip Adam about Nikolai Gogol’s story ’The Nose’
- Ep 110: Beyond a Joke 1 – Anna Jackson talks to Pip Adam about Anna’s book ’Actions & Travels: How poetry works’.
- Beyond a Joke! Better of Read’s New Home at Substack.
- Ep 109: Andy Southall : Time, Love, Memory session from Aotearoa New Zealand Festival of the Arts
Made with the support of Creative New Zealand Toi Aotearoa