This is the first of our ten-part Sound Series where I talk to writers and artists about their work in relation to sounds they have chosen.
In this episode I talk to James Woods and Nick Ascroft.
James chose Neon Cross by Drunk with Power, which he wrote and recorded. You can listen to here on Spotify
Nick chose Dunedin Spleen by The Verlaines and you can listen and buy this song on Bandcamp
We talk quite a lot about rhyme in this discussion.
So, the exercise is simply this – turn on your recorder, say the line:
‘I listened to a band called Flipper’
And see how long you can go rhyming words with ‘Flipper’. Don’t forget about half-rhymes and don’t be afraid to change the end sound completely if it feels right. The idea is to try and keep composing for 2 minutes.
Or you can listen to it here:
Ep 90: Elements 4 – Place. Charlie Pearson, Helen Lehndorf and Marolyn Krasner talk to Pip Adam about the postcodes 4410 to 4412. – Better off Read
- Ep 90: Elements 4 – Place. Charlie Pearson, Helen Lehndorf and Marolyn Krasner talk to Pip Adam about the postcodes 4410 to 4412.
- Ep 89: Elements 3 – Place. Rose Lu talks to Pip Adam about a cleaver.
- Ep 88: Elements 2 – Place. Victor Rodger talks to Pip Adam about Club Paradiso.
- Ep 87: Elements 1 – Place. Michaela Keeble talks to Pip Adam about a set of juvenile pāua shell from the beach where she lives.
- Announcing the Elements Series
Made with the support of Creative New Zealand Toi Aotearoa