This is the sixth of our ten-part Sound Series where I talk to writers and artists about their work in relation to sounds they have chosen.
In this episode I talk to Carl Shuker and Simon Sweetman.
Carl chose this particular version of the song ‘Work’ by Lou Reed and John Cale.
Simon chose the song ‘Whisper’ by Schnell Fenster.
In these podcasts we often talk about a lot of music. I’ve set up a Spotify playlist that captures some of the songs we talk about:
We talk a bit about writing about music in this episode.
So, take a song you like.
Now writer or speak for 3 minutes without using any words from the song – so, no lyrics and not the title.
At the end of this series I’m going to make an episode showcasing the responses to these exercises. Maybe you would be willing to share your exercises for this showcase.
You can leave your recordings or links to recordings in the comments below.
You can also email me them to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your sound files are big you can share a Google Drive link or use a service like WeTranfer
Or you can listen to it here:
Ep 105: Elements 19 – Character. Rachel O‘Neill talks to Pip Adam about Andrea Arnold‘s film Milk. – Better off Read
- Ep 105: Elements 19 – Character. Rachel O‘Neill talks to Pip Adam about Andrea Arnold‘s film Milk.
- Ep 104: Elements 18 – Point. Kirsten McDougall talks to Pip Adam about first-person perspective.
- Ep 103: Elements 17 – Point. Ebony Lamb talks to Pip Adam about a self-portrait photographed by Ebony Lamb.
- Ep 102: Elements 16 – Point. Cassie Hart talks to Pip Adam about Butcherbird by Cassie Hart.
- Ep 101: Elements 15 – Point. Emma Hislop talks to Pip Adam about Daisy Johnson's short story 'The Hunt'.
Made with the support of Creative New Zealand Toi Aotearoa