This is the sixth of our ten-part Sound Series where I talk to writers and artists about their work in relation to sounds they have chosen.
In this episode I talk to Carl Shuker and Simon Sweetman.
Carl chose this particular version of the song ‘Work’ by Lou Reed and John Cale.
Simon chose the song ‘Whisper’ by Schnell Fenster.
In these podcasts we often talk about a lot of music. I’ve set up a Spotify playlist that captures some of the songs we talk about:
We talk a bit about writing about music in this episode.
So, take a song you like.
Now writer or speak for 3 minutes without using any words from the song – so, no lyrics and not the title.
At the end of this series I’m going to make an episode showcasing the responses to these exercises. Maybe you would be willing to share your exercises for this showcase.
You can leave your recordings or links to recordings in the comments below.
You can also email me them to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your sound files are big you can share a Google Drive link or use a service like WeTranfer
Or you can listen to it here:
Ep 86: Dan Kois talks to Pip Adam about 'Train Dreams' by Denis Johnson – Better off Read
- Ep 86: Dan Kois talks to Pip Adam about 'Train Dreams' by Denis Johnson
- Ep 85: Caitlin Smith talks to Pip Adam about ‘Shoulder Charge’ by Jesca Hoop and ‘Another Goodbye’ by Caitlin Smith
- Ep 84: Renter Writes – Eamonn Marra and Murdoch Stephens talk to Dr Elinor Chisholm at Unity Books Wellington
- Ep 83: Brannavan Gnanalingam and Pip Adam talk to Kirsten McDougall at Unity Books Wellington
- Ep 82: Sound Series 10 – Showcase with Sudha Rao
Made with the support of Creative New Zealand Toi Aotearoa